Who doesn’t love all the sparkly gems and rockin’ aromas of essential oils in their magical practice? Superstition teaches you are cursed when you break a mirror (7 years bad luck), but I worry more about breaking the bank. If I go broke buying magical tools then I’m defeating the purpose of magic. If you worry about having all the ‘right’ magical tools or your spells and charms won’t work then shed that stress now because I’m about to tell you 5 basic tools you probably already have in your house.
- Salt– Most people already have salt in the home. Your table salt works just fine and if you have Himalayan salt, you can use that. Garlic salt will work if you’re doing protective or repelling magic. Salt is commonly used for cleansing and for creating a barrier around the house to keep negative spirits out.
- Candle- You can use any candle, even a birthday candle. Colors are typically for specific purposes, but not necessarily a hard fast requirement. They’re great for making wishes, sending prayers, and for consoling those who are hurting.
- Herbs- Any herb will do. Seriously. If all you have is parsley, it can be worked with. You can use your search engine to discover numerous websites that teach you which herbs can be used for a variety of purposes.
- Fire- You can use a lighter or even a match. Fire symbolizes shining a light for making things clearer and can be used to burn away something that no longer serves you.
- Dirt- Sounds messy, but dirt can be used for grounding magic or for concealing information from people who seek to harm you.
Though I’ve offered you 5 basic tools for magic you may wonder exactly how to use them. First of all, intention is everything. Get your intentions in order and make sure there isn’t any negativity lurking in your situation because that can really interfere with getting the intentions aligned.
Salt can be used on its own. You can sprinkle it on the window sills or thresholds of your home to keep negative energy away. Again, get your intentions in order. If you have fears then that fear will create a weak link in your magic. You need to come from a place of faith and confidence. Salt can also be used in water. Even though it dissolves the salt still carries its clearing energy and an be placed in a spray bottle to clear the air in your home.
Candles do require a base such as a candle holder, but if you’re working with a birthday candle, you can create a simple base by placing salt or dirt in a jar or shot glass to hold the candle upright. When you light the candle you’re going to want to keep your thoughts and intentions focused. Speak the words you wish to use to manifest your intentions. While you look at the flame, envision how your wish will manifest. Once you have imagined that manifestation to its fullest then blow out the candle.
Herbs carry their own energy based on what natural constituents are contained within. Herbs like Oregano and Thyme have healing energy for the throat and can be used for speaking healing words in a relationship. You can brew a tea with herbs and add honey to sweeten. While you’re steeping your tea, focus on your intentions and imagine your wish manifesting. Once you’ve envisioned it then drink your tea. Bonus magic for reading the tea leaves. They may open your eyes to something you hadn’t considered before.
Fire can be a dangerous medium so make sure you use proper fire safety when you’re working with this element. I generally don’t use fire on its own. Fire is usually used in combination with candles, incense, and herbs. It symbolizes the end of things and/or igniting something new. It can be used to give insight during flame scrying (seeing things in the flicker of the flames).
Dirt is the most common element of Mother Earth that can be worked with for a variety of spiritual practices. We can bury our crystals to align them with Mother Earth’s energy. Earth can also conceal magic such as a buried Witch’s Jar to protect the home. I’ve also worked with earth to ground chaotic energy and that can be as simple as gardening bare handed or burying your feet in the earth.
I hope this helps you get started with your magical practice. Don’t let the cost of tools discourage you from tapping into your magical energy.